Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 14 - Finished Mitts and Fuzzy Yarn

Well I think we hit most of the yarn stores in our general vicinity this week. Today Brenda and I decided to take a road trip to a place I saw a while back that just had a sign that said Antiques and a little sign hung under that that simply said Yarn. Mmmmm, Antiques AND yarn!! A little slice of heaven right there!

We drove for a bit because I had only seen this place a couple of times, this is on a road just west of Owen Sound. I marked the place with a push pin. It was called Back To Basics Farm but unfortunately, they were closed today.



Well, seeing as that place was closed, we decided to head on over to Owen Sound to Riverside Yarns. (http://www.riversideyarns.com/)

Colleen always has some stupendous deals going on and today was no exception. I needed a long circular needle to work on a shawl so I got myself a 3.75mm 80cm long Addi-Turbo. Ooooh, I love my Addis!

I of course couldn't pass the bin of sale yarn, neither could Brenda. We both got three skeins of Rico Glitz yarns. She got the copper colourway, I got the gold. I think I've selected the shawl I'm going to make. I found Sumac Leaf Shawl by Anna Dalvi on Ravelry for $8.00 so I purchased and downloaded it. This yarn is Aran weight and this shawl will be worked on 6.5mm needle. I have lots of 6.5 mm Addis in all different lengths from working on the worsted weight Girasole.

Here's the yarn:




It's Rico Design Glitz Aran. It's mostly acrylic with a little Kid mohair (45% acrylic, 45% polyamid and 10% Kid mohair) And here's a close-up of it:




After I spent a couple of hours in Ravelry looking for the right pattern for that yarn, I promised myself I would finish the mitts first before starting the shawl. I want to make the ear flap hat that goes with the Lofty Cable Mitts so I downloaded and printed the pattern for that. I might start that on the weekend. Sigh, too many projects I want to do, so little time in a day.

Here is a pic of the finished Lofty Cable Mitts:



All-in-all, it was a good week. I spent a bunch of time with my friend Brenda, my dogs and the big old 4X4 truck traveling the snow-covered back roads of mid-western Ontario in pursuit of the almighty fibre.

From Listowel to Camilla Valley to Owen Sound and Springmount. What a fun week! Now, my mitts are finished, what do I cast on next? The shawl? The hat? Something different? Decisions, decisions.

Good night and good knit all!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad, photos taken with iPhone 3.0 running OS4.0. Map is screen capture from Google Maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment