Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 10 - Bulky Ear-Flap Hat

Well hello. The thing I thought might happen happened. Weekends are sometimes busy around here and I neglected my blog this weekend. I was thinking about just taking a couple of photos from an archive and making a blog entry but I didn't.

Today Brenda and I headed over to Listowel to Spinrite. That's the Bernat Factory Outlet that's about an hour from where we live. It was a beautiful, sunny but cold winter day here. The roads have lots of snow on them but we were in the big old 4X4 with my two younger dogs, Penny and Bear.

I went on a purple yarn buying spree. I got two large balls of Kertzer Tweed Montage (bulky weight) in a self-striping purple and blue. I got 2 more balls of Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo in the SAME colourway (grape purple) and dyelot as the other 3 balls I have of it so now I can make the Bitterroot shawl with it. I got 3 balls (buy 2, get 1 free) of Freedom Spirit by Twilleys of Stamford in a beautiful purples, pinks, and blues. I also bought 7 balls of Bernat Jacquards in the natural colourway for a sweater.

I finished the Boneyard Shawl tonight, even ran in the ends! I don't much care for that part but it's done and I can wear it next time I'm outside to keep my neck warm.

I noticed when I was out the other day that most of my hats and all of my mitts are acrylic and there's no two ways about it, acrylic is NOT warm. Thus the purchase of all the purple wools today. I'm going to make stuff for me to keep me warm out here on the farm.

Tonight I started a Bulky Ear-Flap hat. Here is the start:




After I took that picture, I did finish the second flap. The self-striping is gradual on this yarn so both ear flaps are blue. I'm LOVING the feel of this yarn. It's 56% wool, 40% acrylic and 4% viscose. It is ever so soft and squishy! Hand wash, lay flat to dry...oh well..It's still worth it!

Well, it's around -20°C tonight. I'm feeding the fire and knitting for a while before I hit the hay. Even the dogs only go outside to do their business and then they're right back at the door.

Until tomorrow...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment