Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 30 - A Little Bit of Beading

Well, I'm a few days behind again...d-oh! Sorry, but sometimes life just gets in the way and when it's time to sit down to write, I'm too pooped to blog. I'm playing a little catch up today while sitting in front of the wood stove with my doggies all asleep around me.

My first beading project was last fall when I decided I wanted to make a Swallowtail Shawl for my friend Evelin for Christmas and in place of the nupps, I wanted to put beads.

I used a mercerised cotton, don't know if that was a good thing or not but I fell in love with the yarn when I was shopping at Spinrite - The Yarn Factory Outlet The yarn is a lovely purple (grape) colour but I found it VERY hard to get the correct colour in a photo. Every time I tried to take a picture of it, it looked blue. So I had this great idea to put it on something blue and see what happens. It's closer but the purple was really like a grape colour.



It's Patons Grace, 100% mercerised cotton and it is such a pretty colour.

I really wanted a clear or some contrasting colour bead but unfortunately, the only beads available to me at hand were white but I think they look okay too. The Grace is Sport Weight so I used a 30/0 white glass bead and added them to the shawl using the crochet hook method. I found it very easy to do this.


Here's a picture of the beginning of the shawl (see what I mean about it looking blue?):




Here's the finished shawl on a loveseat:



Just half, the white beads represent Lily-of-the-Valley:



I would DEFINITELY do another beaded shawl. I have even smaller crochet hooks than the one I used to make this so I can see small beads on a lace weight shawl in my near future. Possibly made with Yellow Laceweight Alpaca??? Hmm.


BevKnits with your Daily Dose of Fibre

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment